National Science Foundation S-STEM Scholarship
Estrella Mountain seeks to recruit students who are pursuing degrees in the fields of computer science
and engineering. Although we seek to increase the number of historically underrepresented students in
these areas, all students who meet the following criteria are encouraged to apply and will be considered
in the process. S-STEM scholarship recipients will receive financial support and be assigned to a
faculty mentor who will: provide advising by creating an individual education plan, provide
community learning/internship opportunities, and provide academic support to ensure satisfactory
progress in their courses and goals.
Each scholarship recipient will receive a one-semester award of $1000 to be distributed in Fall 2019.
*How do I qualify for the S-STEM?
In order for a student to qualify for a scholarship award you must satisfy the following criteria:*
- Be U.S. Citizen, Permanent Resident, or Aliens admitted as Refugees
- Enrolled full-time at EMCC (12 credits or more per semester)
- Be an entering freshman or sophomore at Estrella Mountain
- Declared major of Computer Science or Engineering
- Must have completed or be enrolled in MAT 151 or higher
- Complete a 2019-2020 FAFSA to determine financial need
What are the expectations of a S-STEM participant?
- Participate in a student orientation.
- Have a complete 2019-2020 FAFSA on file
- Meet with faculty mentor a minimum of 3 times during the semester
- Meet with assigned ASU mentor either in person, Skype or phone
- Develop an individual education plan with mentor
- Maintain full-time status (12 or more hours) and cumulative GPA of 3.0
- Watch or attend at least 7 ASU engineering lectures
- Visits ASU in the Spring (METS Center, Engineering Department)
By signing and submitting this application I acknowledge my commitment to complete all requirements in order to receive the scholarship.
How do I get more information?
Contact: Liahla Roberts at Liahla.email@example.com
Jennifer Shannon at Jennifer.firstname.lastname@example.org